The Baptism

Monday, July 20, 2009
My first commute in the rain! Many people at work offered to drive me home, and I faced quizzical looks when I explained that I was looking forward to riding in the rain. It felt like a rite of passage; as if I'm now a legit cyclist commuter.

It was quite pleasant, but I did learn a few lessons from the experience:
  • Potholes disguise themselves as standing puddles of water
  • Goggles are a good idea, even when it's not sunny
  • Rubber soled shoes are slippery when wet
  • When drenched, cotton is very heavy
  • Fenders are a good thing, but somehow your lower legs still get muddy
  • Wet brakes squeal like pigs. Motorcycles say Loud Pipes Save Lives; I say Wet Brakes Save Lives.

2 comments:

Apertome said...

Congratulations on your "baptism!" If your lower legs are still getting wet/muddy, you might need to put some mud flaps on your fenders.

I'm a commuter who's lost his commute (read: I work out of my house now) so reading your commuting tales brings back good memories.

shan said...

Thanks for the congrats note! I have a set of Planet Bike fenders with some diminutive flaps on 'em. Probably need something more beefy.

Post a Comment